Saturday, June 9, 2012

Oatmeal at Home


Oatmeal at home tastes so much better than oatmeal in the car. I can't understand how people like fast food so much. It all seems too...rushed. I'm not saying I don't enjoy the occasional trip to KFC or a Frosty at Wendy's, but I feel so much better after a sit-down dinner at home or a hand-packed lunch. There's so much rushing in the day, eating should be the time to sit down, reflect on the day, and just relax. Some people eat fast and others eat slow, but regardless of how you eat, food is meant to be savored and enjoyed.

And just like how food is not meant to be rushed, neither is a blog, which is why I have been away from it for so long. Upon returning home from San Diego, the end-of-the-year chaos all the upperclassmen warned us freshmen about began. Projects were assigned in every class, Honors deadlines from the beginning of the semester began creeping up, and between volunteer hours, track practice, and trying not to be a complete hermit, my blog and my writing unfortunately had to take a backseat for awhile. Now, after a month of writing only for teachers and my grades, I can finally sit down and write for the audience I most enjoy: my readers. I've missed updating the blog every week, and while the end of the year is always chaotic, there's so much that goes on too...so much to write about! I still have so many stories from San Diego to share, and other blog posts I've been gathering in my journal that are bursting with energy and excited to be shared. But I knew I wouldn't be able to give the stories justice with my limited time, and the last thing I wanted to do was write a half-hearted post. You––my readers––deserve more than that.

But now classes are done. The last week of school is always off-campus learning, so I am off to the Cape for the next week! I almost don't know what to do with myself, with all this free time I now have. A weekend without homework?! It was strange––in a wonderful way––waking up this morning with nothing I had to do. Waking up leisurely, making myself breakfast, and actually being able to enjoy it versus scarfing it down before I get to the bus stop. Now that classes are done, I am moving into a new season of writing: summer. I am fortunate to go to a high school that doesn't assign a lot of summer work, which means I can use my free time to focus on my writing. It's true that when you step away from it for awhile, it can be hard to get back into the groove, just like running (this is another journal I am hoping to post very soon). I could just compile all of my journals into one mega-post, but what's the fun in that? Instead, over the next week or so, I will be posting different stories and pictures from San Diego in hopes of finally catching up with the current day.

Wishing you all a beautiful and relaxing weekend,

Megan ;)

P.S. If you're wondering what the little spots in my oatmeal are, they're called chia seeds, a.k.a. "runner's food." My mom just introduced me to them. They don't have much flavor, but they have more omega-3 than salmon!  Click here for more chia seed benefits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Meg!!
That oatmeal definitely looks delicious! :)
I had so much fun at the Cape this past week! It was good to not have any homework to worry about! :) Haha...
Well the school year is over today! I can't believe it! We will have to hang out soon!!!!
Can't wait for more posts! :D
~ Kate :)

Megan said...

It was so nice to finally be able to hang out without being distracted by homework. We actually got to have a full conversation versus our broken-up conversation in between math problems :P